Friday, August 29, 2008

Most of my adult life I have been overweight. I wore a 14 in high school. My weight fluctuated, but after my youngest daughter was born I weighed over 250 lbs. After a few months, I had lost some of that fit into a size 14 but before long I was back to wearing a size 18. I had just turned 32 and was unhappy about it but didn't have any real plans on how to change things.

My youngest sister came over to bring me a birthday gift and we started talking about getting older and I told her that I had always wanted to run a 5K race. She agreed to train for one with me and we started working out. That's when I found out I had asthma. That started the weight loss and it has been two years and in that time I have gone from a size 18 to a size 6!


My birthday present this year was a cute pair of culottes from Banana Republic that are a size 6!!! They are adorable and I love it! I'm smaller than I have ever been and am very proud of the weight loss but most importantly I am healthy now. I have always set me goal for my weight based on my BMI (body mass index) which takes into account a person's height and weight. My BMI says I shouldn't weigh more than 178 lbs. After two years I have reached my goal of being in the healthy range for my BMI.


So, here are a few of the things that have helped me:


1. Get a buddy! I worked out first with my sister but later with my good friends. Now I have two more good friends working out with me regularly also. It keeps me from backing out when I'm tired if I made plans with friends to work out. It's more fun that way too!


2. Keep it interesting. Find different exercises that you enjoy. I regularly ride my bike, run, walk, do yoga, play basketball, swim and whatever else I can do to mix it up. I borrow work out videos from Netflix or borrow from friends. It helps keep it fun for me so I'm not doing the same thing over and over. It is also good for my muscles.


3. Speaking of muscles, Be sure to include weight lifting in your exercise routine. It builds muscle which speeds up your metabolism and you'll burn more calories at rest. I love the Turbo Sculpt video by Beach Body. P90 is also a good one (You can find both on amazon.com). They are great muscle toning workouts and I highly recommend them. They made a huge difference in my body shape. I try to lift weights two to three times a week. I like the Firm's Hi-Def Sculpt workout too.


4. It takes 90 minutes a day of moderate exercise to lose weight and 60 min. a day to maintain. That seems like a long time but it does work to lose weight. It helps when I break it up by working out a half hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. You can break it up any way you want, but try to go 90 min. of moderate exercise every day.


5. Don't starve yourself or skip meals. Listen to your body. Don't get too hungry because if you do, you will overeat later. Think of your stomach with a hunger scale- 1 being starving and 7 being totally stuffed, like on Thanksgiving. Try to keep yourself in the middle, between a 3 & 5 on that scale. I eat smaller meals more often. It keeps my metabolism going and I eat healthier because I'm not so hungry! I'm in control, not my hunger.


6. Eat breakfast. Eating breakfast starts your metabolism right up and gets it going for the day!


7. Eat slower. Take time to put your fork down and breathe in between bites. Enjoy your food. Take the time to taste it fully using all your senses. Slowing everything down gives your stomach time to tell your brain that you are full. It also helps you feel satisfied with your meal. For more on mindful eating follow this link and be sure to check out the other links too: http://eating.health.com/2008/06/25/how-to-think-yourself-thin/?xid=hts080702&utm_source=health&utm_medium=email&utm_content=body-lede&utm_campaign=hts080702-html


8. Take 20 breaths. Sometimes I get a craving or want to eat when I'm not really hungry - you know, emotional eating. When that happens I practice 20 breaths: breathe in and out slowly, focusing on the breath only. I count up to 10, in and out, then back down to one. By the end my cravings are under control and I can try to figure out what emotional need I have and try to find another solution, something that would really help the problem.


9. I take it one day at a time. I celebrate each success, like if the scale hasn't gone up then I've had a good day. Every time the scale goes down, I praise myself. It helps keep me motivated. I look at the small picture- little steps along the way and that helps a lot.


10. Make SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely. I started with the goal to run a 5K, not to get skinny. The goal for me has always been to get healthy. After I ran the 5K I had a goal to do it again. Then I went for a 10K. Next was a 10 miler. Next I will do a half marathon and a marathon. I'm even going to try a triathlon! The goals really help me to stay motivated and are a great way to stay on track. See this website for more on SMART goals: http://www.topachievement.com/smart.html


11. Go to bed hungry... not starving, but hungry. If I'm not hungry for breakfast when I wake up than I know I ate too much too late the night before. Our metabolism slows down at night. To keep the weight off, make sure you don't eat too close to bed time. It works.


12. Only this moment... What that means: in this moment all I have to do is get my work out clothes on, not run 3 miles. Then, after I have my running clothes on, all I have to do it get out the door. Then all I have to do is start moving... I break it all down into smaller steps that help keep it achievable in that moment. It works when eating (i.e. only in this moment I will slow down my eating, or only in this moment I will drink more water) or exercising (only in this moment I will push harder or keep going even though I'm tired).


13. I never regret working out. I always feel better and am glad I did it. Before hand I am often tired or have too many other things to do and want to skip the work out. I just remind myself that I have never felt it was a waste of time. I never say to myself "Gee, I wish I hadn't done that workout!" Instead, it's always, "I'm so happy I stayed on target and am being healthy!"


14. I accept that I'm not perfect. I recognize that sometimes I'm going to eat more than I should or some days I won't get a workout in. Instead of beating myself up over it I start over the next day and try to get back on track. I don't give up on my goals just because I had one set back.


15. I got rid of all my clothes that were too big as I went down a size. It took away any option of going back up a size. If my clothes started getting tight again I would take that as a sign to increase my physical activity and watch what I eat until the clothes feel loose again.


16. Set my clothes out the night before. Get everything ready so in the morning it's easier to get out the door! It really does help. Try it!


17. Drink more water. I carry Crystal Light packets with me & use them! It helps me drink more water. I also have the South Beach Diet drink packets since they have a lot of fiber in them and that helps keep my hunger under control. They work for me.


18. Keep healthy snacks on hand for when you get the munchies. I use soy nuts & granola bars for snacks a lot. I keep them in my car so when I'm out and about but starting to get hungry, instead of stopping for fast food, I eat a little something healthy and can make it until I get home or until I can get something healthier.


19. I take my vitamins. It helps me have enough energy to keep going after a hard workout or a long day. It's just healthy and wise. Do it!


20. Go whole grain. I eat less processed foods and more complex carbs like brown rice and whole wheat pastas and breads. It is harder for your body to convert it to sugar and is much better for you and more satisfying.


Well, that's some of the stuff that worked for me. I'm sure you know a lot of it but so many people have asked me about the weight loss that I wanted to blog about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment