Sunday, December 07, 2008

Food storage made simple...

Food storage can be baffling and overwhelming but I got this email with a link to this blog
http://www.everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/
that offers a solution to help make it a bit easier.
It's by Wendy DeWitt and here's her Top 10 Reasons Why People Don't Have A Year's Supply of Food (according to the email I received):
10. My neighbor has a 2-year supply (The problem is, actually 85% of the Church has zero food storage).
9. I've paid tithing for 25 years. The Church can give me a little food (Problem: the Church can only feed 4% of its people from the food it has stored).
8. I'm going to move in with my parents or my children (Problem: in many scenarios, people won't be able to travel anywhere once the disaster hits).
7. I have a year's supply and the bullets to go with it (Problem: people will do anything to feed their starving children. Do you want to become one of them who is using your gun to take food from others?) .
6. The boat and 4-wheelers are taking up all my space (Problem: you can't eat them).
5. Y2K ==> meaning, it's never going to happen just like Y2K never happened (Do you actually, really believe that now?).
4. The government's going to rush in and save us all (Just like they did after Hurricane Katrina). 3. I can't afford both food storage and scrapbooking.
2. I'm waiting for the cannery to sell frozen pizzas.
1. A year? I thought it was 72 hours!

Wendy's system has you choose 7 breakfasts that you like and 7 dinners, for one week, plus one loaf of bread a day. Then you figure out the ingredients that you would need for each of those and multiply the ingredients by 52 (for 52 weeks in the year). And then store those ingredients. The idea is that you eat breakfast at breakfast time, then eat dinner during the middle of the day when the sun is available to help you cook things, and then have some bread and extras for a light meal in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment